April Fools’ Day came early to our house this year with a visit from Punxsutawney Phyllis. Phyllis, as you may recall, was on her world tour to promote her newest book, April Fool, Phyllis! Now the real April Fools’ Day (Sunday) has snuck up on me.
This year the boys are old enough to understand practical jokes and the purpose of the day. They love telling jokes and think just about anything is funny. It got me thinking, what sort of pranks could I play on them to celebrate the day? So, without further ado, here are a few ideas I’ve come up with thus far.
- Make a fake pillow mommy under the covers and wait for the unsuspecting boys to rush in and announce, “Time to wake up!”
- Dye their milk green and tell them it came from a green cow. (FamilyFun had a similar idea.)
- Declare it backwards day and let them wear their clothes backwards.
- Give them an apple…with a gummy worm climbing out of it.
- In the spirit of the Punxsutawney clan, create my own treasure hunt. I have to think carefully about the prize though. No maple candies for us with Easter and all that Easter candy right around the corner.
Do you have a favorite April Fools’ Day prank? I’d love to hear your ideas for injecting some fun into the day.