Today is a wonderful day to slow down and give your little ones an extra snuggle. A Christmas picture book is the perfect excuse. If you need a recommendation, check out yesterday’s Perfect Picture Book Friday post.
As some of you know, I’ve been participating in Julie Hedlund’s 12 x 12 Picture Book Writing Challenge where we complete 12 picture book manuscripts in 12 months. Since I write nonfiction, this has been particularly challenging. Research is very time consuming and sometimes impossible from the comfort of your own home and local library.
Nevertheless, 12 x 12 is the push I needed to advance my career as a children’s writer. Here are some 2012 accomplishments and benefits:
- Six completed manuscripts. Four are at publishing houses for consideration.
- One book query, which I’ll send off in January after the holiday madness.
- One magazine article query and a few magazine submissions.
- A new freelance gig writing leveled science articles for BirdBrain Science.
- An SCBWI membership and a handful of events and conferences.
- A wonderful, supportive community of writers who have cheered me on throughout.
I didn’t exactly finish the 12 x 12 goal, but I did fulfill my goal of becoming a children’s writer! I hope to continue the momentum for 2013.
If you have an interest in writing for children, Julie is preparing for 12 x 12 in 2013. Find out more, here.