Now Offering — Critique Services
Picture Book Coaching (Nonfiction or Informational Fiction) – $200
A professional critique of a nonfiction or informational fiction manuscript up to 1800 words. This service includes:
- A one-hour critique session over Zoom to discuss big picture notes and possible revision approaches.
- Line edits and comments within the draft as well as an editorial letter with overall notes addressing key elements like structure, voice, hook, character development, as applicable.
- An additional second look at your revised draft with comments within the draft (no editorial letter).
- If you provide back matter, sidebars, and a bibliography in addition to your 1800-word text, I will provide high-level comments on them as well.
- Additional reads of the same manuscript – $50 each
- Contact me at creatingcuriouskids [at] gmail [dot] com to schedule.
No manuscript? No problem! (Zoom coaching sessions, $100/hour)
Need feedback on story ideas, nonfiction research, the querying process, or other aspects of the writing life? I’m happy to help. Please get in touch at creatingcuriouskids [at] gmail [dot] com.
What students and clients are saying:
Kirsten’s critiques are thoughtful, helpful, and encouraging with comments that can translate into concrete action items, craft suggestions as well as big picture organizational comments. AND, Kirsten somehow can interpret what one is trying to accomplish – even if it’s not there on the page yet!!!–Janet AlJunaidi
Kirsten was incredibly helpful throughout my process. She helped me get my manuscript to a point that I feel proud of. … She is truly gifted at what she does.–Suzanne Buzby Hersey
Additional Writing Advice
- NONFICTION STRUCTURE
- Booklist of Nonfiction Picture Books by Text Structure (5/21, PDF)
- #MentorTextMoment YouTube series studying the craft of nonfiction.
- Pinterest Boards of Mentor Texts by Structure
- TIPS ON WRITING NONFICTION
- 5 Tips for (un)Writing Narrative Nonfiction (12×12) (4/20)
- “Sounds of Science.” Sound devices in science writing from STEM Tuesday on The Mixed Up Files.
- How To Start a Story (STEM Tuesday)
- Text Features (STEM Tuesday)
- Souping Up Sensory Detail (STEM Tuesday)
- Scripting the Scene in Nonfiction
- WORK FOR HIRE
- The Wonderful World of Work for Hire
- KidLit Distancing Social with Children’s Book Insider: STEM books, nonfiction, and work for hire (1/21)
- WRITE THIS! with Tonya Ellis in which we discuss work for hire
- WRITING FOR CHILDREN’S MAGAZINES
- QUERYING NONFICTION
- WRITING GRAPHIC NOVELS
- BOOK MARKETING
- Children’s/MG/YA Book Bloggers/Influencers List (send suggestions/updates to creatingcuriouskids [at] gmail [dot] com)
- Starting a Book Co-Marketing Group in 5 Easy(ish) Steps by Kirsten W. Larson of the Soaring ’20s (Note: Sign up for the Soaring ’20s Newsletter to get this resource as a free download)
- WRITING ROUTINES