Now Offering — Critique Services
Picture Book Coaching (Nonfiction or Informational Fiction) – $200
A professional critique of a nonfiction or informational fiction manuscript up to 1800 words. This service includes:
- A one-hour critique session over Zoom to discuss big picture notes and possible revision approaches.
- Line edits and comments within the draft as well as an editorial letter with overall notes addressing key elements like structure, voice, hook, character development, as applicable.
- An additional second look at your revised draft with comments within the draft (no editorial letter).
- If you provide back matter, sidebars, and a bibliography in addition to your 1800-word text, I will provide high-level comments on them as well.
- Additional reads of the same manuscript – $50 each
- Contact me at creatingcuriouskids [at] gmail [dot] com to schedule.
Additional Writing Advice
- 5 Tips for (un)Writing Narrative Nonfiction (12×12) (4/20)
- Booklist of Nonfiction Picture Books by Text Structure (5/21, PDF)
- KidLit Distancing Social with Children’s Book Insider: STEM books, nonfiction, and work for hire (1/21)
- #MentorTextMoment YouTube series studying the craft of nonfiction.
- “Sounds of Science.” Sound devices in science writing from STEM Tuesday on The Mixed Up Files.
- The Wonderful World of Work for Hire
- Tools of the Trade for Nonfiction Writing
- Writing for Children’s Magazines
- Querying nonfiction
- Writing Graphic Novels
- Book Marketing
- Children’s/MG/YA Book Bloggers/Influencers List (send suggestions/updates to creatingcuriouskids [at] gmail [dot] com)
- Starting a Book Co-Marketing Group in 5 Easy(ish) Steps by Kirsten W. Larson of the Soaring ’20s (Note: Sign up for the Soaring ’20s Newsletter to get this resource as a free download)
- Writing routines