Available for preorder
Title: WOOD, WIRE, WINGS: EMMA LILIAN TODD INVENTS AN AIRPLANE
Publisher: Calkins Creek (Boyds Mills and Kane, Feb. 25, 2020)
Ages: 7 to 10
DESCRIPTION (FROM THE PUBLISHER): This riveting nonfiction picture book biography explores both the failures and successes of self-taught engineer Emma Lilian Todd as she tackles one of the greatest challenges of the early 1900s: designing an airplane.
Emma Lilian Todd’s mind was always soaring–she loved to solve problems. Lilian tinkered and fiddled with all sorts of objects, turning dreams into useful inventions. As a child, she took apart and reassembled clocks to figure out how they worked. As an adult, typing up patents at the U.S. Patent Office, Lilian built the inventions in her mind, including many designs for flying machines. However, they all seemed too impractical. Lilian knew she could design one that worked. She took inspiration from both nature and her many failures, driving herself to perfect the design that would eventually successfully fly. Illustrator Tracy Subisak‘s art brings to life author Kirsten W. Larson’s story of this little-known but important engineer.
Amicus (four books in the Robotics in Our World series), 2017
Our world is filled with even more robots than we think! Readers can explore the various roles that robots have, from helping us in the hospital and at home to the competitions of robot builders. Take a sneak peek into the future of robotics in our world!
Capstone (Cause and Effect: The Bill of Rights), 2017
The Bill of Rights was written more than 200 years ago, but it’s still just as relevant and important today as it was back then. Readers will take a look at what caused the Second Amendment to be born and what effects the amendment has had through history and today.
Are you ready to serve? Check out these six titles in Amicus’s PROTECTING OUR PEOPLE series (2016).
“Eye-popping graphics and action-packed stories encourage independent reading while learning career basics.” – School Library Journal
What does it take to serve our country and protect our people? What does the U.S. Secret Service really do? Could you be an FBI agent some day? Read these books for an introduction to the important service men and women in these jobs do to keep people safe.
Readers will be fascinated by stats about the U.S. special ops that bring the subject to life. From information detailing the intense training special ops forces go through to amazing information about the weapons and other machines they use, readers will get a real feel for what special ops is all about.
Freaky Nature (Amicus 2015)
Praise for Freaky Nature:
“[These books] will leave students in awe of the grossness, and greatness, of some incredible species . . . will engage even your most reluctant readers.”
“A very effective look at basic biology and the way parasites operate.”
—Booklist review of Zombies in Nature
- Rock Cycle (Let’s Explore Science), Rourke Educational Media, 2016
- Tools of the Trade (Let’s Explore Science), Rourke Educational Media, 2016
- SCIENCE FAIR SUCCESS! (Let’s Explore Science), Rourke Educational Media, 2015
- USING THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD (Let’s Explore Science), 2015
- TSUNAMIS (Devastating Disasters), Rourke Educational Media, 2015
- NUCLEAR MELTDOWNS (Devastating Disasters), Rourke Educational Media, 2015
- THE WEST (Let’s Explore the States), Mason Crest, 2015
Schoolwide E-Books (2015):
- The Hairy Spider (Level G)
- Skunk Science (Level L)
- Mars’s Rolling Robot (Level N)
- The Balloon Brothers (Level N)
- To Catch a Comet (Level S)
- “Mars’s Rolling Robot,” BOYS’ QUEST (December 2013)
- “Adventures in Extreme Recycling” ASK (January 2014)
- “Calling All Martians: Is There Life on Mars?” Odyssey (January 2014)
- “Parking Lot Paleontology” ASK (February 2014)
- “The Balloon Brothers” BOYS’ QUEST (February 2014)
- “How Do Astronauts go the Bathroom?” ASK (March 2014)
- “Wheels Down on Mars” AppleSeeds (April 2014)
- “Sea Lion Sentinels” Odyssey (April 2014)
- “Voyage of the Sea Stallion” ASK (July/August 2014)
- “Joshua Trees and Jet Planes” AppleSeeds (July/August 2014)
- “The Other Monarchs” Odyssey (October 2014)
- “e-Scape with O and Aarti – Blast Off: Astronauts will print custom tools and fast foods” Odyssey (February 2015)
- “Dive to an Ancient Shipwreck” ASK (July/August 2015)
- “Above the Clouds: Meet an Astronomer Who Works in the Skies” Boys’ Life (November 2015)
- “You Otter Hear This” Spider (September 2018)